News Flash Home
The original item was published from 4/21/2017 10:16:21 AM to 5/12/2017 4:35:01 PM.

News Flash

High Point Museum

Posted on: April 21, 2017

[ARCHIVED] High Point Historical Society Completes Fundraising Campaign

AltTextHIGH POINT, NC (April 19, 2017) The High Point Historical Society is pleased to announce that the fundraising campaign for the Little Red Schoolhouse, affectionately known as Little Red, is complete. The building was moved to the High Point Museum campus last spring and is now sitting on its new foundation. The City of High Point is working on selecting contractors to complete the restoration work.

"We're thrilled," Donna Kaiser, High Point Historical Society President, said. "We so grateful for all of our supporters - organizations, companies and individuals for helping us preserve this treasure for generations to come."

The goal is to have work begin in early summer with the entire project completed by late summer or early fall.  Once all the restoration work is complete the Museum will focus its attention on young children in this space.

Children will participate in fun, hands-on activities to build vocabulary and early literacy skills while also learning a little about High Point's heritage.  The Museum plans to offer opportunities for drop-in visitation by individual families as well as guided experiences for pre-school and school groups when the project is finished.

"We are working with retired teachers in the Beta Omicron chapter of Delta Kappa Gamma to produce some artifact kits for young children to use in Little Red," Edith Brady, Museum Director, said. "The programs are based on a model we developed with the Junior League of High Point several years ago." 

The Little Red Schoolhouse was designed by High Point architect Louis Voorhees in 1930 as a separate adjunct to the Ray Street Elementary School at the corner of Montlieu and North Hamilton Streets. It served as a one-room public school for first graders between 1931 and 1961. First teacher was Mrs. Louis Voorhees. It served as High Point's first museum (then on Ray Street). It was dedicated on December 20, 1964 and served as the museum until 1971 when the current museum was opened.

The Little Red Schoolhouse was designated a Guilford County Historic Landmark August 8, 1988.

The High Point Museum, a division of the High Point Public Library, is dedicated to sharing Greater High Point’s history, providing perspective for current issues, and strengthening the sense of community.

The City of High Point aims to serve as the catalyst for bringing together the community’s human, economic and civic resources for the purpose of creating the single most livable, safe and prosperous community in America. For more information on the City, visit www.highpointnc.gov

 

###

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in High Point Museum

yellow and blue flyer stating "we're accepting applications"

Collections Management Internship

Posted on: January 20, 2023
blue flyer with white and black text. Qr codes and image of hand holding a phone

High Point Museum App

Posted on: June 16, 2022
histic resources

Historic Resources

Posted on: July 18, 2021