See Collection Map to find your collection day.
- Household garbage is picked up once a week.
- Customers must use a City-approved roll-out garbage cart.
- Solid waste collection begins at 6 a.m.
- Roll-out containers which are not out when the truck passes, will not be collected until the next regularly scheduled pickup day.
- All garbage must fit in carts. No garbage outside the cart will be collected.
Buying a Garbage Cart
If your cart will not hold all your garbage, you may purchase a second garbage cart. A maximum of 2 garbage carts per household will be collected. To buy a 95-gallon cart bring $70 to the City Collector's office at 211 South Hamilton Street,, or mail a check to the City Collector.
Call 336-883-3111 and let us know that you want us to try to repair your cart. Then wash out your cart and leave it at the curb. If your cart can not be repaired, you will need to buy a new cart.
The City encourages residents to recycle to reduce their volume of garbage. Roughly 1/2 of household garbage is recyclable. Do not place garbage in recycle carts.
Paint cans will be picked up only if they are empty or if the paint is completely dry - lids must be off for verification. To dry paint, leave paint cans open for several days or mix in cat litter. Take oil-based paints to a collection site. We cannot pick them up in your household garbage.
Back Door Service
Back door service is available on a once a week basis for garbage only (does not apply to yard waste or bulky item), provided that prior approval has been granted by the Environmental Services superintendent, who will require a valid medical verification for those persons who are unable to roll their roll-out container to the curb. If someone in the house is physically able to roll the cart out, this service will not apply. The City shall reserve the right to periodically verify the need to continue physically disabled services to residents that have been approved to receive such services. The City shall reserve the right to continue or discontinue service. Backdoor recycling service is available every other week.
- When is my garbage pickup day?
- When can I put my garbage/recycling/yard waste out to be collected?
- What happens if I do not follow the guidelines for when to set out and remove my cart?
- I have trouble getting my garbage cart to the curb. What can I do?
- Do I need a special garbage cart?
- What can I put in the rollout cart?
- Do I need to bag my trash?
- Can I place excess garbage next to the cart at the curb?
- What if I have to be out of town during collection?
- Which days are considered garbage holidays?