Community gardens and urban farms are considered “Agricultural Production (crops),” and are permitted as a principle use of property within all zoning districts in the City of High Point (4.1 Principal Use Table). 

 Sale of produce grown on-site or on an adjacent lot that is part of the same agricultural operation is permitted provided they take place outside the right-of-way. (4.3.1 Agricultural Uses)

 Questions about city ordinances and community gardens or urban farms? 

 Contact Contact Planning & Development at 336-883-3328. 

He can help walk you through the details about:
Sheds (4.4 Accessory Structures
Fences (5.11 Fences)
Signs (5.7 Signage)
Chickens (Sec. 12-2-2. - Requirements of pens and enclosures for chickens, pigeons, rabbits, etc.)


 To find the approvals and permits needed for construction and development projects, the key steps involved, and guidance on how to obtain access to the resources you will need, please visit www.BuildHighPoint.com. BuildHighPoint.com is High Point's one-source development guide that helps you navigate the process for developing and building within the City of High Point. It provides guidance for the approval processes needed to take your project from concept to completion. By starting at BuildHighPoint.com you are able to efficiently and effectively plan and coordinate your project from start to finish. 

 Listed below are some typical projects that require a zoning permit and inspection:

  • Signs
  • Fences
  • Residential accessory buildings with all dimensions (height, width, or depth) 12 feet or less
  • Land uses of property with no buildings
  • Mobile food vendors that are not located on a street or sidewalk
  • Outdoor seasonal sales for seasonal agriculture projects, such as Christmas trees, pumpkins and living plants
  • Special events, such as arts and crafts shows, musical events, concerts, carnivals, outdoor religious events
  • Temporary land clearing and inert debris landfills