Erosion Control Surety

A surety is required on most land disturbing projects greater than an acre in size. The surety is refundable once the site is stabilized with a sufficient amount of continuous growth of ground cover to prevent erosion. The surety must be either a bond issued in the state of North Carolina or a check which will be held within the city's account. The surety is based on $2000 per disturbed acre.

Example: A 4.55 acre site with a disturbed acreage of 4 acres would require that the surety’s amount be $8000. The amount is based on disturbed acres (4) times $2000 which equals $8000.